Facts of carbon dating

Graphite is used as a crucible for melting metals, in pencils, for rust protection, for lubrication, and as a moderator for slowing neutrons for atomic fission.

Amorphous carbon is used for removing tastes and odors.

Toxicity: Pure carbon is considered to be non-toxic.

It may be eaten as charcoal or graphite or used to prepare tattoo ink.

The Romans knew how to make charcoal from wood by heating it in a covered container to exclude air.

Uses: Carbon forms numerous and varied compounds with limitless applications.

In 1772, Antoine Lavoisier demonstrated diamonds were carbon by heating diamond and charcoal and measuring the released carbon dioxide per gram.

Isotopes: There are seven natural isotopes of carbon.

In 1961 the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry adopted the isotope carbon-12 as the basis for atomic weights.

Carbon-12 accounts for 98.93% of naturally-occurring carbon, while carbon-13 forms the other 1.07%.

Leave a Reply